Friday, August 28, 2009

Sugar Free Cookies..............

Over the weekend, a friend's mother moved into the next building over. She is a diabetic. So, I decided I would make sugar free cookies to bring over!!! There are many problems with this idea. One, I am not big on cookies!!!! I won't turn a warm gooey chocolate chip cookie down. However, I don't have self control problems when I walk through a bakery. The second problem is probably the biggest. I have this little dilemma when it comes to baking. I just cannot follow a recipe. It is great when I cook because I am always improving and changing dishes. With Baking, there is this chemistry part that does not work when changed.

Yes, Buying sugar free cookies would have been easier. However, I think the thought counts.

I looked online for sugar free recipes. I did not find many that sounded good!! I wanted to be careful not to use chocolate which has sugar. My decision limited my already limited options. I decided on one recipe- banana oatmeal nut cookies. The other recipe I decide to wing it. I used a variation on a basic chocolate cookie recipe(can you guess which one). I switched out the chocolate chips for pecans. I used splenda instead of brown sugar and sugar and added a little extra. I through in 4oz of applesauce to make the mixture extra moist.

Don't laugh- The banana Oatmeal turned out Okay. I followed the recipe I swear. I guess it just was not my taste. I chose a vegan friendly recipe!! So no eggs or milk. I mean the cookies were edible.

However, my pecan cookies tasted great. They were not too sweet like a pecan pie can be. The cookies tasted delightfully yummy. I figured it might do some good to post a GOOD sugar free recipe. These cookies would be a nice addition to any party. Now if you are a cookie lover, I am not saying these are better than chocolate chip. I am saying this is a great option when you are have a party or a girls night in. It is always nice to have a healthy or sugar free option, in case someone is on a diet or diabetic. I notice when I don't have a backup that is always when I need one. So here is the recipe

Pecan Sugar Free Cookies

· 2 1/4 cup of all purpose flour

· 1 tsp baking soda

· 1 tsp salt

· 2 sticks of butter softened/left out of the frig for 20 minutes

· 2 cups of chopped unsalted pecans

· 2 1/2 cups of splenda (I know it seems like a lot but trust me)

· 1 tsp of vanilla extract

· 2 large eggs

· 4oz (one individual container) applesauce

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Mix butter, splenda, and vanilla extract together until thick and creamy. Add the eggs to the creamy mixture. Slowly, mix in the dry mixture a little at a time. Lastly stir in the pecans. Now the cookie dough is ready to by dropped onto the baking sheets and cooked for 9-11 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment