Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Making protein brownies in an attempt to be wifely

Now, those of you who know me, know I can't bake or somewhat bake.  Well, I can but only at 3am when I am too tired to experiment.   Yes- experimenting is my problem.  I can not just leave a recipe be I must enhance or at least think I am enhance.  The difficulty with baking is it is a science.  You must recalculate for the new ingredients added.  This explains why I can bake at 3am.  I am so tired I actually follow the recipes.  Warning-if you wake up and the kitchen is full of baked goods, I could not sleep and you may be in trouble (sorry honey).

So, for the love of my husband (still weird), I decided to try a little baking.  I wanted to support his new health and workout goals which include upping his protein intake.  Like way up.   Therefore, I decided to research baking with protein powder.  However due to my limitations or lack of discipline I wanted to use a boxed mix.   Also, I wanted to work with I had in the pantry which was a chocolate peanut butter flavored protein powder.  Naturally, I found tons of from scratch recipes.  But none using boxed mixes.   I did find a community board that suggested add an extra egg to a boxed mix along with 2 scoops of protein powder.  Based on this advice I decided go against the dismal odds and experiment with baking  (insert scary music here ).....
AND
The brownies actually turned out good!!!!!!  Not Amazing! I still have some perfecting to do. They definitely taste like brownies but a little off. Some of this may have to due with the protein powder which to be honest is not that wonderful tasting.  But my husband (OMG) was so happy for a new protein treat and couldn't stop eating them that I had to cut him off so he would have some later this week.
Here is what I did.
As shown above I used Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate Brownie mix.  I added 4 whole scoops of the Whey Protein Powder to the dry ingredients along with a 1/4 tsp of chili powder and 1/4 tsp of salt. I mixed the dry ingredients together.  Then added wet ingredients as list (1/4 cup of water and 2 adds)  however, I substituted the 1/4 cup of oil with 1/4 cup of applesauce which cut calories and fat while adding vitamin  C and a fruit serving.  Additionally, I added 1 whole egg and 1 egg white as well as an extra 1/2 cup of water.
Then I baked it on 350 for 40 minutes.  I like my brownies gooey and chewy so if you like a more firm brownie I would bake for 45-50.  Please keep in mind this recipe is tried in Florida which is at sea level.  If you are in a high atltitude adjustments may need to be made.
So Basically
1 box of Betty Crocker
3.5 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
4 scoops of protein powder
3/4 cup water
put combined ingredients in a greased pan
bake for 350 for 40-50 minutes
And Ta-Da you have protein brownies which if cut into nine brownies, have 11.5 grams of protein!!!

The recipe is by no means perfect. However it was good enough to make me have to hide these babies from the man.  I will continue to update the blog as I continue to perfect these brownies which judging by the rate of consumption will be next week sometimes if I am lucky.

If you have any suggestions for protein powder baking or cooking please comment or email me.


10 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I want to do. Any new tweaks you would recommend? Or can you describe the imperfections you would hope to improve on? I am trying to reduce my carbs while upping my protein. But when I really have a sweet tooth, I would love to have a fall back that has some protein. Right now I use fat free greek yogurt with Muscle milk protein powder, chocolate. Which makes a chocolate frozen yogurt taste. Chill and server. Or eat without chilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Shawn- thanks for sharing the recipe!! I love using Greek yogurt for extra protein!! I use this recipe when I want extra protein but am maxed out on protein powder (my body can only handle so much protein powder before it gets unhappy)
      http://www.girlgonecountry.com/recipes-2/cookie-dough-greek-yogurt-3/

      Delete
  2. Is it 1/4 cup applesauce of 1/2 cup applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for the mistake! Go with whatever the boxed brownie mix calls for!!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi all!
    My name is Susana Barker, I am a housewife. I has a fat body a weakly health, so I want to find a best protein powder which is good for my health. And I found at: http://theproteinpowderreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. รับผลิตโปรตีนลดน้ำหนัก

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the smaller pouch, 9 servings instead of 18 in the box, I’m just halving everything. What about the eggs? Would that be 1 whole egg and 1 egg white or 2 and 1?

    ReplyDelete