Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chick Peas are the new potato chips? NO/maybe/I don't know

While playing on yahoo, I saw this article/video, "Swap Potato Chips and Croutons with These."  Naturally, I clicked on the link!  What could possibly replace chips!  I mean I am a salty snack craver. Chips, pretzels, cheezits, cheese and olives are my lifelines to sanity when stress eating!  My husband (Gosh that never gets old or less weird)  can vouch for the many times I have made him stop on his way home to humor my food needs...  and I am not even pregnant!!!

So...I am always down to find a nice healthier salty snack.  NEVER A REPLACEMENT because then I might go a little nutty and start screaming, "Hand over the chips or I am going to destroy dinner!"
The link turned out to be an episode (3 minutes and 12 seconds) for Judy Greer's "Reluctantly Healthy."  You may know the actress Judy Greer as the witty sarcastic character from "Mad Love," "27 dresses," "Two and Half Men" and "Arrested Development."

I watched the episode and thought,  "I love Judy Greer!"  And this is a great idea. Sidenote- this was blogged about on Oprah.com.  The episode presented roast chickpeas in a like EVOO, salt and paprika as the swap item!!!  Now I will admit the idea of never having chips again seems unrealistic.  This seems like a nice occasional alternative when I have the time and energy to make them in advance, because when I want my salty fix, waiting an hour for these babies to bake seem like mission impossible. However, I decided to give this recipe a try.
The video lists

3 cups of chickpeas
1 tbsp EVOO
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp parika
bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes

I gave this recipe try...BUT of course I totally added garlic and chili power.
And...
It was good, not great, not OMG I will never eat chips again. The chickpeas come out with a nice crunchy outside. The chickpeas tasted nice nutty which I enjoyed as a nice snack. The recipe is great for entertaining vegetarians or health nuts. This would be perfect if you added curry powder and served them as a little appetizer for an Indian or Moroccan themed dinner party. However, I don't think this is something I would serve to my picky very southern in-laws.

ALSO, I made these two days ago and took them for a snack at work (finding healthy good tasting snacks is hard) and I tend to do a lot of prep for the week on Sunday. Verdict- the chickpeas did not stay well.  They got a little stale and soggy.  Think like cold french fries.....YUCK.
Basically, I saved them to give to my husband (still weird) who will eat anything.  Great idea in concept, but not a satisfying substitution long term solution.  Afterall, I am not making these every time I have a craving for chips. But they are a fun new recipe I will use for entertaining.

FYI-If you use canned chickpeas like me some of the skins comes off.  This didn't bother me, but it may look weird if you are not use to cooking with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment