Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Kitcho actually had Uni...and some not too shabby sushi too!




Now, I love sushi!!!!  My father started me on this stuff super young....like 13. Therefore when I moved back to Tallahassee I was on the prowl for some AMAZING raw fish (I do apologize for those who are not raw fans this post is going to get a little fishy).  Two of my foodie friends recommended Kitcho, so we all got together for a double date to satisfy my sushi craving.

This place is a little hard to find because it is nestled in Market Square where there are quite I few restaurants.  Of course, I have no sense of direction.  But even with the aid of my GPS I still drove around for 10 minutes trying to find the exact location (Yes- my friends were hysterical watching my Hubby and I circle through the massive shopping center!)

Once, inside the place is quite and modern.  Exactly what you would expect the decor of a Japanese restaurant to be. We split/stole from our friends Gyoza/ fried dumplings which were quite delicious with a flavorful filling and crispy shell.  We also ordered the tuna collar (yes- the hubby order this)  which was surprisingly amazing and not at all fish or tough.  The fish was crispy but not greasy and reminded me of the Holy Snapper at Lemongrass where my parents live. The only downside it is a little hard to eat with no knife.

For, our main course, the Hubby and I ordered a ton of nigri a la carte.  And when we ordered uni- they actually had it. I tried to order this at Sakura last month, but they did not have it.  Sea Urchin or Uni is very seasonal.   Although, it is one of my favorite types of seafood.  Yes- this does fall in the out of the box food category, but I love it!  I first tried sea urchin  years ago after hearing about it constantly on food television.  Both Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern raved about this spikey guy.  So, on my first vacation with my husband (WTF)

we tried uni at a Japanese sushi restaurant.  And ever since we have been hooked!
Uni is bright orange which is both festive and slightly off putting.   Don't get scared now! The taste is nutty and salty with a texture unlike fish.  it is much creamier.

 We also had salmon roe,  albacore and  mackerel (the hubby's favorite) nigri.  Additionally we ordered a few rolls but to be honest they were good but forgettable....  Sorry!  The nigri far outshined the rolls!!!  I was super HAPPY with the diversity and freshness of the fish on the sushi menu!

My friend ordered the vegetable tempura which was light, crispy and everything a good tempura should be!  The wine menu was impressive with great options and the service was excellent!  My water glass was filled quite often as was the hubby's diet coke!  Kitcho is not cheap nor over priced!  So expect to pay $75-100 per couple for a good dinner!


Kitcho Japanese Restaurant on UrbanspoonOVERALL- I give the place a 4 out of 5 and recommend it!

FYI- there is a super cute lounge/bar attached to Kitcho.  After a great dinner, we went to next door and had drinks! The place is super cute with a unique and versatile drink menu including beers, liquor, and martinis.

No comments:

Post a Comment