Monday, September 10, 2012

Sometimes it is the little things---Salted Pecans

I got super lucky in marrying into a great family ( OMG I am married).  I adore my father-in- law who has helped me move a multiple times, taught me to shoot (insert joke here about a Jewish girl learning to shoot) and never complains about the disaster I create in the kitchen.  Now, it is always hard to show appreciation because thank you seems to be said too often.  I try to do little things...ie my husband (weird)  and all my protein powder creations.  Plus, I grew up with something my mom calls, "I love yous" or "just because" presents.

So, I wanted to do a little something for him.  Well, my father-in-law is not materialistic in any way.  Beer and tequila are on his must have wish list and that is about it. Therefore, when I learned that he loved pecans, I got inspired.  I decided to make a little surprise, which I ruined in my excitement by telling him.   

I got a 2 pound (YES that is right) of pecans. Coated the pecans in a little EVOO then sprinkled salt on a baked at 350 for about 45 minutes or until I smelled the yummy pecans.  I then divided the nuts into two bags.  One for the house and one for my father-in-law to munch on at work.  And I must tell you, my father-in-law was very pleased and so was everyone else.  I think his family, including me, has eatten lots of his pecans, thus my making extra for him to take to work.
Sometimes it is the little things. And cooking and baking is a affordable and thoughtful way to do it.  Keep that in mind as the holiday season approaches.   These pecans wrapped up with a bow or in a holiday tin (which you can find at Target or the dollar store) would be a nice and healthy gift option. 


No comments:

Post a Comment