Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What to do with ripe bananas, nuts and protein powder-kinda part two

My father-in-Law loves bananas so they are always AROUND.  Or at least I try to make sure they are always around for him.  And sometimes that means stocking up on 1-2 weeks worth at the store.  Seriously, I got three pound bag of bananas from Costco three weeks ago, and there was NONE...I mean none left over at the end of the week when I went to make banana protein bars.  Needless to type.....I HAD to make the bars last night because I went banana crazy after the 3 lb bag was eaten....Actually I may have to make more bar tomorrow night too!!!


Well, I really enjoyed the banana chocolate protein bars I made previously in What to do with ripe bananas and protein powder!  The Hubby (yup still married despite the fact I always type about him) loved the not too sweet flavor.  I wanted to add more protein.  the last batch had about 10-11 grams of protein.  Also, I wanted to add more texture to this bar.  After eating multiple bars a day, the Hubby would like some crunch which i can not blame him for. So, I am back to experimenting.




For the extra protein, I just doubled the amount put in from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup.  this small change brings the amount of the protein up to 17-18 grams per bar.  AWESOME!!!  As for texture, this was an easy fix all you need to do is add nuts.  My Hubby suggested it.  After all my banana bread have nuts!!!

The third and final change I made to the recipe was splenda.  I recently discovered that you can replace honey with splenda when cooking.  The texture does change though so beware. In this case it made the batter a little thicker. This substitution decrease the amount of calories s and  sugar.     Of course there is something to be typed about clean eating and using all natural ingredients...however, I am straddling the fence in the debate of calories vs clean eating/paleo/no chemicals
AND.....  
the bars came out great!!!!  The texture makes them feel like banana bread not another protein bar......These are a little dry and unsweet but that is how the hubby likes them.  PS- I will be lucky if my batch of three makes it till tomorrow....

Here is what I did


1 cup Grams Rolled Oats pureed in the blender or Oat flour

1/2 cup  Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (mine is rocky road but it tastes like chocolate)
3 Tbsps  Smooth PB  but any nut butter works
3 egg whites
2 medium bananas
2 Tbsp Splenda
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 walnuts unsalted 
pam or butter or wax paper....something to grease the pan
9 by 9 pan

  1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix all the wet ingredients- eggs, milk, peanut butter, bananas
  3. Separately mix all the dry ingredients- protein powders, splenda, cinnamon
  4. Slow add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Mix well.
  5. mix in walnuts.
  6. Spray pan with pam or wipe with butter
  7. Pour batter in pan
  8. Bake pan for 40 degrees or until done (I like to do the tooth pick test!)

No comments:

Post a Comment