Monday, January 28, 2013

Apple Crumble is OMG good and healthy too!


To be honest, this recipe came about because I did not have enough peaches to make a peach crisp and I needed to make a dessert. All I had was a big bowl of Apples, so this recipe like many was born from necessity.

However, what surprised me, was how everyone RAVED about this dish.  I mean RAVED.  I was a little surprised because this is a low carb recipe. But it was a huge hit!!!!!  So, I figured I would share!!!  
I do warn you there is a lot of ingredients for me, but it is mostly spices!!!
                                        What you need
The Filling
5 large apples I used Honeycrisp Apple's but it is a any type will work
5 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chili powder
5 tbsp Brown sugar
5 tbsp splenda
1/4 cup lemon juice
The Topping
1 cup pecans
1 cup almonds
 1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks or 12 tbsp of butter 
For Everything
 blender
 glass baking dish
 knife or Apple cutter
 peeler
Bowl (a large one)
What you do
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Take out butter to soften.
  2. Peel, Cut and core the apples. I like my apples in about 1 inch cubes, but you can do slices. However cubes make it easier to serve. 
  3. Toss the cubed apples with the lemon juice, splenda, flour, brown sugar, chili powder, cinnamon,ginger, all spice and salt.  Let sit while continuing on to step 4.
  4. Place the pecans and almonds in the Blender. Blend on HIGH until the are finely chopped into crumbs or crumble.
  5. Mix the 1 cup of the soften butter with the ground nuts, salt, brown sugar, splenda, and cinnamon.
  6. Pour the apple mixture into a large baking dish.
  7. Top with the butter and nut mixture.  Make sure to evenly distribute the mixture.  So there is an even crust.
  8. Top that with the last of the butter.
  9. Place the dish in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the apples are cooked and the top is crispy.
  10. Make sure to let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.  
      Top with ice cream for an extra treat!


















No comments:

Post a Comment