Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Baked Apples- the perfect negative calorie dessert

 While I am not the biggest pastry love (don't get me wrong I LOVE bread, but not cake)  I do enjoy dessert.  Of course desserts can almost double your dinner caloric intake.

Cheesecake from the Cheesecake factory- 500 calories
Creme Burlee- 575 calories
Krispy Kreme Donuts- 200 calories EACH (like you ever eat just one)

So instead of skipping dessert and feeling like you are cheating yourself out of a treat, try this baked apple recipe.  I got this from my Mom.  And I totally thought she was crazy but it works. Seriously  if you skip all the butter and sugar and honey and brown sugar...baked apples are low in calories and super good for you.
That is exactly what this recipe does.
All you need is
1 apple
vanilla extract
cinnamon
aluminium foil
Start by cutting or spooning out the core of the apple.  There are a lot of different different methods to do this.  I prefer a knife, but I like to leave on the edge. (Click here for tips and more detailed instructions) Next coat the apple in vanilla extract. DON'T BE STINGY!!!! Once the apple is nice and moist with vanilla yumminess put a heavy coat of cinnamon all over it.  And by heavy I do mean heavy.  (I know it sounds weird but it works.)  Then wrap the apple in aluminuim foil.  Pour a little more vanilla extract in for good measure.  Then bake in the oven for 40 minutes on 350 degrees.

Simple, less then 5 ingredients and no measuring cups need. 

TIPS- You can make these in bulk then microwave them as needed or even freeze these babies too! My Mom's freezer is full of them!

MORE INFO-And though this will not be as rich and sinful as Cheesecake Factory's Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake, this recipe is comforting and great for winter. And to top it off, apples are good for your heart and immune system. For more great healthy facts about apples check out the Huffington Post and Mayo Clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment