Thursday, January 10, 2013

Herbes de Provence Asparagus- the perfect negative calorie side dish

As I noted in my in "My New Year Weight Loss with Negative calories," I am trying to substitute, things out of my normal diet/food intake with this negative calorie foods.

Mashed potatoes can be anywhere from 150-500 calories depending on the amounts and types of milk, cream, butter and cheese used.

This dish is about 50-100 calories depending on how much oil you use.  So this simple substitute will save you anywhere from 50-400 calories.  Not too bad right.


Basically, this dish is a win win for me.  And always looks great for guests!!!  Afterall, Herbes de Provence sounds all classy and fancy. It is french after all and includes lavender.  Here is the wiki page so you can sound knowledgeable to your guests or co-workers.    Also, you can find Herbes de Provence in the seasoning aisle at your local grocery store ( if I can find this in  my Publix in Tallahassee, you have no excuse) or online.

Here is what you need

  • Asparagus
  • Herb di Provence
  • EVOO or OO or oil
  • baking dish
  • 1 large plastick bag

Alright, place the washed and cut (you need to cut off the white part) asparagus in the plastick bag.  Drizzle enough oil to coat the asparagus.  Then add a healthy amount of Herbes de Provence. Zip up bag and massage/ turn/ toss/ throw/ or whatever until the asparagus is evenly coated with the oil and seasoning.  Now, I like to let the asparagus sit for a bit or overnight if I can.  But that is not needed.  Pour the contents of the plastick bag in a baking dish or a cookie sheet lined with aluminuim foil.  Make sure to spread out the spears evenly. Then bake/roast for 25 minutes on 400 degrees.

And that is it!  Simple right?


TIPS-I like to make this recipe in bulk. Therefore, I take a trip to Costco and get the big 3 lb bag at (Yes- I am obsessed with Costco) and cook it all at once. I then use the leftovers throughout the week to add extra vitamins and stretch my meals. The leftovers are great in stirfrys, thrown in with pasta,  on top of a salad, think antipasti, or on sandwiches think the Mediterranean Sandwich at Jason's Deli.
Or if all else fails, puree the leftovers, thin out with chicken broth and season to taste/ preference for a nice soup.

More info-Click here for why asparagus is good for you or click here for how to pick out asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment