I saw this recipe on the blog, Keep it Simple Foods. And as a chip lover and a reformed Broccoli hater, I had to try this. And these things are not bad. These give a nice crunch. But to be honest, I think of these more like fry substitutes then chip substitutes despite there shape. These would be great with burgers. Or as an afternoon snack. I probably would not serve these at a Superbowl party because they would get over shadowed by all the greasy and fatty foods and then get cold and soggy too fast.. However, these would be great at a dinner party. The broccoli chips are something different. Until the blog post, I had never heard of them.
After some trial and error, here is what I have learned!
- Do not try this with bread- You will get sandy chips. They are not bad....just grainy- See right photo
- Do not use garlic salt- my bad.....I only used a 1/4 tsp and it was OVERPOWERING
- Do not wait and serve these hours later, they kinda have a window of yumminess.....before the crunch gets soggy
- Do sprinkle the extra crumbs over the top of the chips
- Do broil at the very end for a golden brown results. But not too long
What you needBroccoli- THE WHOLE STEM- sorry you cant use the frozen bag of florets
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 tsp pepper
onion powderItalian seasoning
1 egg for each bundle of broccoli
Other stuff that may come in handy
a cutting board
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the egg until blended nice and yellowy
- In a separate bowl, mix the panko, garlic powder, chili powder, Italian seasoning, pepper and onion powder
- Wash the broccoli then slice the stems of the Broccoli thin. Place the heads of the broccoli off to the side to use for another meal-ie steaming
- Place the sliced Broccoli into the egg wash. And make sure to coat thoroughly.
- Dredge the egg wash coated broccoli slices in the seasoned panko then place on a aluminium foil over baking sheet. repeat until all broccoli has been panko-ed.
- Bake for 20 minutes. If not crispy and golden brown, turn the broil on and bake for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.