Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What to do with the leftover Broccoli Stems? Broccoli Chips

 As I have mentioned before in my previous posts on broccoli,(steamed broccoli and broccoli soup), the green vegetable and I have had a troubled relationship. But chips, these things are my loves, my comfort, my guilt pleasures, my sorry Husband I pick the chips over you (just kidding- kinda).  So when
I saw this recipe on the blog, Keep it Simple Foods.  And as a chip lover and a reformed Broccoli hater, I had to try this.  And these things are not bad.  These give a nice crunch. But to be honest,  I think of these more like fry substitutes then chip substitutes despite there shape. These would be great with burgers.  Or as an afternoon snack.  I probably would not serve these at a Superbowl party because they would get over shadowed by all the greasy and fatty foods and then get cold and soggy too fast..  However, these would be great at a dinner party.  The broccoli chips are  something different.  Until the blog post, I had never heard of them.


After some trial and error, here is what I have learned!

  • Do not try this with bread- You will get sandy chips.  They are not bad....just grainy- See right photo
  • Do not use garlic salt- my bad.....I only used a 1/4 tsp and it was OVERPOWERING
  • Do not wait and serve these hours later, they kinda have a window of yumminess.....before the crunch gets soggy
  • Do sprinkle the extra crumbs over the top of the chips
  • Do broil at the very end for a golden brown results. But not too long

What you need
Broccoli- THE WHOLE STEM- sorry you cant use the frozen bag of florets
 1 cup panko bread crumbs
 1/4 tsp pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
Italian seasoning
chili powder
1 egg for each bundle of broccoli
Other stuff that may come in handy
two bowls
a cutting board
knife
aluminium foil
baking sheet
What you need

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat the egg until blended nice and yellowy
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the panko, garlic powder, chili powder, Italian seasoning, pepper and onion powder
  4. Wash the broccoli then slice the stems of the Broccoli thin. Place the heads of the broccoli off to the side to use for another meal-ie steaming
  5. Place the sliced Broccoli into the egg wash.  And make sure to coat thoroughly.
  6. Dredge the egg wash coated broccoli slices in the seasoned panko then place on a aluminium foil over baking sheet. repeat until all broccoli has been panko-ed.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes.  If not crispy and golden brown, turn the broil on and bake for 2-3 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven and serve.













No comments:

Post a Comment