Friday, January 18, 2013

Steamed Broccoli- a microwavable negative calorie recipe


My worst enemy as a child. Seriously, I only recently like in the past few years started eating this green super food again.  And I only eat it COOKED.  Raw broccoli makes me gag.....Sorry to all you lovers out there...please eat my portion!!!

FUN FACT- Did you know that eating steamed broccoli reduces your risk of a heart attack!  And since they run in the Hubby's family, don't think I am not cooking this at least once a week!!!

Conveniently,  the easiest way to make broccoli is steamed in the microwave which takes less then 10 minutes.
Here is what you need
A large Bag of frozen broccoli florets or heads
1/4 cup water
salt to taste
1/2 the juice of a lemon or 1tbsp of lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic zested or diced
2 tbsps of EVOO or butter if needed
 Here is what to do
Open the bag of frozen broccoli and place the contents in a microwave safe bowl.  Fill the bowl with the water, lemon juice and garlic. Mix till all frozen greens are coated.  Cover.  Microwave for 4-6 minutes on high based on the strength of your microwave.  Drain.  Then taste!  Add salt and/or butter/ oil if needed!

I told you this was simple
Tips-

  1. I like to serve this with chick or fish.  I also toss this in with my pasta or fried rice for extra vitamins without the calories.
  2. This is great if you want to add a little chilli powder for a little spice and metabolism boaster

More Details about why you should eat your broccoli click here






No comments:

Post a Comment